![]() |
|
|
Saturday, June 12, 2004
tok cok! I've jus completed my OM course at OETI on friday and a new 'life' in Bronco awaits me (whaha). I had quite a lot of admin time this whole wk and my bunkmates and I spent it playing chinese chess (not bad lorz, i used to play it in sec sch haha) and toking cok! As for the toking cok part, it wasn't really just talking nonsense. It began with my knowledgeable and mature buddy KB telling me something about MLM on tuesday night. It was a very interesting concept he was introducing to me which i somehow thought I've heard about it b4 somewhere. On Wednesday night, our bunk sort of became the hub of Chinese Chess with 3 concurrent matches going on and the players come from different bunks. Man...it was really noisy with us expressing our feelings out-loud(I bet people on the ground floor could hear us, we're on the 3rd floor). After a few rounds of chess, our toking cok session began with tok-cok king YS, tok-bird king MY, my buddy KB, ah-seh Jeremy and my other bunkmates. KB first talked about how weird teaching(the career) is. The teachers learn from other teachers, and then recycle what they've been taught, to teach a new grp of people, earning an income. This made me thought about how knowledge doesn't belong to anyone and teachers don't have a right to charge students for passing on the knowledge to them as knowledge ultimately belonged to everyone. MY rebuted me and KB from the perspective of an economistthen(my econs teacher told me anyone who studied econs may be called that, haha) saying that education is a merit good(speaking in econs terms, means something which one derives more benefits than what one is paying for...something lidat larz, can't remember exactly what i learnt, hehe). From what I can remember, it is usually underproduced and thus the govt subsidises it making it affordable for most people. This gave me another perspective which is, if teachers don't draw an income teaching, they might not even bother to learn it and pass it on. If this happens, won't knowledge be lost?? After talking about that for like 15 to 25mins, KB then introduced them the concept of MLM and MY rebuted it (again from the perspective of an economist) saying that it results in a wastage of resources since the price at which one purchases the good is higher than the cost price to purchase it. Then another point of view came into play with KB emphasising that the price the last buyer purchases the good is the same as the first person who purchased it directly from the producer. MLM is a pyramid-thingy which is very powerful if everything runs smoothly but me being brought up as a person who doesn't think very much out of the box can't really be affected by this idea...though theoretically it helps you get richer than you might if you work normally your whole life. What my buddy told me was very brief but there's bound to be more to it lorz, so I'll just carry on what I've set myself out to do(which is to serve my time in NS and then graduate from NUS with a degree in Chem Engi b4 deciding what I might want to do =P). posted by sc @
Gran Torino - Jamie Cullum |
-tag-
-recent-
-archives-
-links- |